The horses saw the vet on Tuesday for their annual exams, and it was a very exciting time.
Gina was scheduled for an ultrasound and Pneumabort vaccine. (She’ll receive her annual vaccinations next month, when she’s about 30 days away from foaling.) She was well-behaved, but her foal was hiding from the vet. We saw a glimpse of a leg slide by, but that was it. Gina’s vet advised everything looked good, and no one is anticipating any problems with either the birth or the foal. I can’t believe we’re only a couple of months away from a baby! I’m excited and very nervous all at the same time.
I’d noticed that Gina had a little bit of nasal drainage, so I asked the vet if she’d take a look. The vet suspected a bad tooth, which hadn’t occurred to me. Gina’s appetite has been good, and I hadn’t noticed her tilting her head, dropping food, or exhibiting any other behavior I usually associate with tooth pain. Lo and behold, one of the molars in Gina’s upper right jaw was damaged. The vet took some x-rays to see if the damaged tooth was infected, and if an infection had spread to nearby teeth. The damaged tooth was infected- most of its roots were gone and it needed to be extracted. The x-rays revealed that an adjacent tooth was fractured, but did not appear to be infected.
My vet had hoped that the infected tooth would be loose enough for her to yank out, but it was still pretty firmly in Gina’s mouth. Despite being heavily sedated, Gina wasn’t super jazzed about all the poking and prodding. My vet and I decided to give Gina a course of SMZs to combat the existing infection and try to prevent it from spreading, then plan to remove the bad tooth at the clinic after Gina foals. This way, if Gina won’t tolerate the procedure while standing, the vet will be able to safely lay her down on a table. (That’s kind of a worst-case scenario; the hope is that a heavily sedated Gina in stocks will allow the vet to remove the tooth.)
Moe was up next, and was perfectly well behaved for his vaccinations. However, his left eye has been watery and sensitive for a couple of weeks, so I had the vet take a look. He had a similar problem with his right eye last year, which was treated with the twice-daily application of eye ointment for two weeks. The left eye is now on the ointment regime; Moe isn’t a fan. The vet isn’t sure what’s causing these corneal ulcers; her best guess is Moe’s immune system isn’t dealing with minor irritants like errant bits of hay or dust as well as it used to. The wind has been very strong for the last few weeks (between 15 and 30 miles per hour nearly every day), so it’s certainly possible that stuff is blowing into Moe’s eyes. He’s in a fly mask all the time for the foreseeable future, which he is thankfully very good about keeping on.
Candy was a champ for her vaccinations, and had no issues that needed to be addressed. I opted to take advantage of the vet clinic’s microchipping special and had her chipped. I don’t plan on showing her in USEF hunter, jumper, or equitation classes, but I figure that having a microchip won’t hurt. Candy was totally fine for the chip insertion. I think I cringed more at the sight of the enormous-looking needle than Candy did as it was poked into her neck!
Everyone is feeling just fine after their vet visits; I’m glad they are, because I’m pretty sure this bill is going to be at least double what I’d budgeted for, haha!