After last week’s post seeking advice about the bachelorette party, I started thinking over all the things that have offended various people connected to the wedding. The list is full of hilariously trivial things, so I thought I’d share them with y’all.
- My aunt was offended my first cousin (her daughter) didn’t receive an invitation to my bridal shower. My cousin lives in upstate NY, which isn’t exactly next door to Tulsa, OK. I didn’t have the hostess send her an invitation because a) I didn’t want her to feel obligated to come, and b) I didn’t think she’d care. Besides, if she’d showed up, it wasn’t like I’d kick her out of the restaurant!
- My mother is extremely offended we aren’t having a dance floor at the wedding. (This is still puzzling to me.)
- Johnny’s sister is offended she hasn’t been asked to help or consult on any part of the wedding. She lives in Denver, CO (also not next door to Tulsa); I haven’t asked her to help because if I wanted someone to help from 500 miles away, I’d ask my best friend Amy.
- Johnny’s grandmother is offended because Johnny’s second cousin who lives in Dallas, TX wasn’t invited to the wedding, but his second cousin who lives in Tulsa was. For the record, we’ve seen the cousin in Texas once in the last 5 years.
- My mother is offended I am not wearing a long, Disney-princess kind of dress.
- My father is offended that a Kentucky Derby themed wedding means his wife won’t let him wear his standard wedding attire of black suit, red tie.
Why do weddings make people totally insane?