Dispatches from the H/J show
I’ve been in Oklahoma City since Tuesday at the GO Hunter/Jumper Show with the tack trailer. Shows with the trailer are generally fairly boring- after getting everything set up for the day, I sit and wait for customers. At H/J shows, they trickle in throughout the day between classes. All the waiting means prime people watching, so when I’m not reading, that’s what I’m doing.
- There’s so much longeing! Small children, grooms, trainers, riders- everyone longes indiscriminately! Some horses plod around the circle looking like they’re half-asleep, but I’ve seen a few wild buckers.
- Every kid in the place seems to have a scooter, or a bike, or both. They whiz around at top speed; some kids last night were weaving in and out of my display until I gave them an ugly look.
- Oklahoma City is just about the ugliest place I’ve ever been.
- Hearing teenagers talk about their custom Samshield helmets while trying on GPAs never fails to make me feel poor.
- A teen who looked like she was sucking on a lemon got super excited about some black glitter spur straps. She said, “I’m buying these! My trainer will hate them, but I don’t care, because I’m a jumper! I can wear crazy stuff now!” I told her I was an eventer, and she gave me a disgusted look and said, “Oh, that’s why everything in your trailer is so wild.” (For the record, we have black and navy coats, tan breeches, and mostly white show shirts…)
- What’s up with kids in jods wearing shadbelly coats? Do they have some kind of miniature hunter derby?
- Is longeing in double side reins a thing now?
- Hunter readers, are you guys wearing black coats? Navy coats? Is anyone wearing colored shirts any more?