Salutations, internet land, and apologies for the long absence! I’ve been really busy for the last month, but things have settled down and returned to normal. So, what have I been up to?
- In mid-April (on Gina’s 340 day gestation date, no less), I briefly went to Tennessee and took my mother to a minor medical procedure. (She is totally fine.)
- In late April, I headed to the Land Rover Kentucky Three Day Event with my friends Richal and Rachael. They’d never been to Lexington and were completely delighted by the experience.
- While I was out of town, I dropped Gina off at the vet in case she foaled. Gina did not foal, so I brought her home and kicked her back out with Candy and Moe.
- Johnny and I celebrated our third wedding anniversary by eating Taco Bell and checking Twitter for NWS Tulsa updates on possible tornadoes.
- I became the de facto eventing coach for my dressage friends who’ve decided to participate in some unrated horse trials. My track record is terrible: everyone in my group was eliminated at the last show!
- My mother visited me over the weekend; she booked a flight months ago because she wanted to see the baby horse. She was disappointed because there is no baby horse.
- That’s right: Gina is still pregnant! Today is day 365. My vet reassured me that the foal’s heart rate and movement were normal while Gina was at the clinic; she does not anticipate a problem. Gina seems completely unconcerned about foaling and continues to eat, hang out with her horse friends, and sigh at me whenever I check her udder. Between here and Facebook, thirty-four people guessed “after 340” in last month’s foal contest- good instincts, people!
There’s not much on the agenda for the next few weeks. Candy continues to take one step forward and two steps back; I often despair that she will ever do anything useful. Moe is doing very well; he’s fat and shiny, and dressage shows with him in the fall are on my radar. And at some point, I imagine Gina will actually produce that foal she’s been carrying for so long!
I have been keeping up with your blogs, and I’m looking forward to making time to contribute useful and/or supportive comments again!