I haven’t been blogging regularly (for months, really) because I feel like my life is currently very boring. After Marrakesh died, I lost motivation to do much with the horses at all. The things I did do felt very mundane, especially compared to the excitement of a baby horse. I rode Moe in dressage shows. I made more of a effort to work with Candy. I tried to get ready for hunting with Gina.
My life hasn’t suddenly become more exciting, but I want to write about it anyway. So, what’s been going on?
- I’ve taken a few lessons with my neighbor on Candy. One of my foxhunting friends is taking lessons with her every other week and inserting myself into her lesson has made it fun and affordable (for me, I’m not sure if she thinks it’s fun when Candy is dolphining around the arena). It’s been helpful to have someone who knows both Candy and me well offering advice and tips.
- Hunting season is underway, although I haven’t been out much. My clippers died about three-quarters of the way through clipping Gina, so she looks hideous. I borrowed a pair of clippers from my neighbor, which died about five minutes after I turned them on. Gina’s neck and barrel are clipped, but her hindquarters are not (save for one wide swath on her left flank). I took her out third field last weekend, which was really fun; I’m too embarrassed to hunt first field like usual. A replacement blade is on the way, so maybe the season can be saved.
- Gina has completed the 25 hours needed for the first level of recreational riding awards from The Jockey Club’s Thoroughbred Incentive Program! My neighbor joked that I’m going to need a letterman jacket for all the patches I’ll get. (Moe needs about 5 more hours to get one and Candy earned hers in 2017.)
- Johnny and I finally painted a room in our house, two-plus years after moving in. The entire house is beige- ceilings, walls, carpets, even the countertops in the kitchen are beige-ish. It’s the most boring nightmare you can imagine! We painted the spare bedroom’s ceiling white and walls Behr’s Charcoal Blue. It looks great and has inspired us to work on more house projects in 2019.
- I implemented a vegetarian-for-dinner rule for weeknights back in January. I was inspired by a recent episode of 1A about veganism; it was easy to get Johnny on board since we’re both undiscriminating eaters. This has been a big success! I’m expanding my cooking repertoire, the amount we’re spending on groceries has decreased, and we have way less food waste.
- I added blue to my hair! My hair has been purple since last summer, but I added some blue to the bottom of it and love how it looks. I think I’ll go totally blue the next time I have it colored!
- Johnny and I have been fostering a couple of kittens for the local animal rescue, which has been both fun and extremely cute. They leave for their new home this week, and I’ll miss them!
I have more to write about my lessons on Candy and a couple of products I want to review. I’m optimistic that I can commit to blogging at least twice a week- and now that I’ve put it in writing, it’s official, right?