Back in June, I made an equestrian bucket list for the summer. Summer is officially over tomorrow, so let’s look at how I did!
- Go horse camping: didn’t happen, although in retrospect, this was probably sort of a dumb idea in a place where temperatures stay in the triple digits through the summer. I’m adding this to my fall bucket list, though!
- Swim on a horse: totally happened with both Gina and Candy! (Although Candy was way more into than Gina was!)
- Enter a jumper show: checked this off my list! Will I ever go back? Ugh, I don’t know. It was really stressful, even if Moe was a trooper.
- Spend a day at the races: didn’t happen. Remington Park in Oklahoma City has several stakes races on the calendar for October, so maybe I can catch some racing next month!
- Trail ride at a new place: I went to two new places this summer! I went hacking with Harvard Fox Hounds at a member’s pecan farm, and I went to Lake Heyburn State Park.
- Ride a new horse: I’ve gotten lots of riding in on Candy!
- Go to an educational event: mixed bag on this one. I attended the Oklahoma Dressage Society’s summer meeting, which included lectures from a technical delegate about bits and a saddle fitter. I didn’t learn much I didn’t already know (except for learning about what bits you can and can’t use in western dressage, which isn’t very relevant to my interests). So, I attended an event, but I didn’t get much out of it.
FINAL RESULT: 5/7
I’m working on a bucket list to keep me motivated for fall. I enjoy having something that’s more like a list of things to do and less like hard-and-fast goals!